Thursday, December 06, 2007

28 Women Miscarry After Receiving HPV Vaccine Gardasil; FDA Says No Reason to Re-Examine Approval

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said the cervical cancer vaccine Gardasil is safe despite that 28 U.S. women who received the vaccination had miscarriages, CNSnews.com reports.

Clinical trials show the vaccine's miscarriage rate is consistent with that of women in the general population who were given placebos, and most of the miscarriages reported cannot directly be connected to Gardasil, the FDA said.

Click here to read the whole story at CNSnews.com.

A 24-year-old woman miscarried in May after being vaccinated with Gardasil and an investigator reported to the federal government that the miscarriage "may have been caused by Gardasil because the patient received the injection within 30 days of the pregnancy."

The vaccine is used to prevent the human papillomavirus — a sexually transmitted disease believed to be the cause of most cases of cervical cancer.

There have been 3,461 adverse reactions, including eight deaths, reported since the vaccine was approved for use in girls as young as 9 in June 2006. The FDA and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have concluded most side effects are minor and believe there is no reason to re-examine the drug's approval.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315466,00.html

Technorati Tags:, , , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Now I have to say this has worried me extremly.

Me and my husband have fallen pregnant with our second baby, Though it was a few days after I had the HPV vaccine that I found out we were expecting.

I told my doctor at the time we were trying for our second baby and he said nothing to me about all theses complications I found on the net.
Any body out there in the same situation got any information?
my email jaz_ben@msn.com