Saturday, November 10, 2007

Employer plays role, too

Fran Heller’s cover story “Coping with pregnancy loss” (CJN, Sept. 26) was wonderfully informative and heartfelt.

It’s great that Heller included resources for people in search of a support group or professional support.

Over 20 years ago, I had five consecutive first-trimester miscarriages. Support during these tragic losses is so important from family and friends. Fortunately, I never gave up hope and was blessed with a beautiful son and daughter, just 17 months apart.

One area that was not mentioned in the pregnancy-loss article is support from an employer. These days there are more laws related to pregnancy-related illness. I experienced the horror of having physician employers who expected me to have a miscarriage and a D&C one day and return to work the following day. I ended up leaving a job that I loved because there was absolutely no compassion for the devastating losses I was experiencing.

And, guess what? I was employed as an ultrasound technologist scanning pregnant women every day!

Source: http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/articles/2007/11/08/community/letters_opinion/friedman1109.txt

No comments: