Friday, May 16, 2008

Fiona Smith, 38, raised over £1,600 for the Miscarriage Association

Photo by www.deesidepiper.co.uk
Fiona Smith, 38, raised over £1,600 for the Miscarriage Association by finishing the 26.2-mile run through the English capital in five hours and 49 minutes.Banchory mum says London marathon was "fantastic"

A BANCHORY mother-of-two said completing the London Marathon to raise money for a charity which helped her through two miscarriages was an "emotional experience".

Fiona Smith, 38, raised over £1,600 for the Miscarriage Association by finishing the 26.2-mile run through the English capital in five hours and 49 minutes.

She told the Piper: "It was fantastic and I loved every minute of it. I had set myself the target of finishing the marathon somewhere between five and six hours so I was really happy to reach my goal.

"When I crossed the finishing line it was a very emotional experience."

However the marathon was no walk in the park for Fiona and she had to give herself a pep talk to keep going when she started to struggle with five miles to go.

Fiona explained: "The hardest part was at mile 21. I had run all of the way until there but then my legs started seizing up and I think that was where I hit that infamous 'wall'.

"But I just gave myself a good talking to and remembered that I was doing this for a great charity. That gave me the motivation I needed to keep going and complete the run."

The senior clerical assistant at Banchory Community Learning Centre is delighted with the money she has raised for Miscarriage Association.

"My target was £1,300 and I am still getting people donating money now. I have raised £1,600 so far and I can't thank everybody who has contributed enough," she said.

Fiona is now searching for her next big challenge having well and truly caught the running bug.

She said: "I have been looking on the internet to try and find the next run I can take part in. I just want to get back into the gym and keep up with the training."

Fiona thoroughly recommends the experience to anyone who may be considering taking part in next year's London Marathon.

She added: "It was a really great day and I had a fantastic time. I'm a mother with two young kids and if I can do it then anyone can."

Source: http://www.deesidepiper.co.uk/news/Banchory-mum-says-London-marathon.4021791.jp


Stories of Pregnancy & Birth over 44y
- Daily blog of hope & inspiration!
http://pregnancyover44y.blogspot.com/

4,600 Stories of Pregnancy & Birth over 44y
Daily blog of hope & inspiration!
http://pregnancyover44y.blogspot.com/

You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's
Sharing articles, discussing options & suggestions
http://youcangetpregnant.blogspot.com/

No comments: